Sunday, December 20, 2009
Oh these are so good. Perfect for brunch or a side dish at dinner. These can prepared a day or two before and cooked the day of your party, making these perfect for a holiday party side dish.
6 Medium Yukon Gold or Red Potatoes
2 Cups Cheddar Cheese
3 (approx) cups Bechamel Sauce (recipe below)
1. Boil potatoes until almost fully cooked. Should be soft enough to easily poke a fork into but not enough to where they fall apart. Drain and refrigerate until completely cool. Peeling is optional. I never peel my potatoes.
2. Once cooled, thinly slice potatoes.
3. Layer potatoes and cheese in a 9 inch square or round baking dish.
4. Pour bechamel sauce over the top
5. Bake on 350 for 1 to 1.5 hours (depending on how cooked your potatoes were before...the longer you boil the less you have to bake).
4 T Butter
4 T Flour
3 Cups of Milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of Nutmeg
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour stirring constantly until it makes a smooth paste. Add milk and continue to stir, slowly bringing to a boil. Once there, reduce temp and bring to a low simmer. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sauce will become thick and creamy. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
This post is part of the Make it From Scratch blog carnival.
Posted by amandalouden at 7:09 AM